Won Buddhism of Chicago awards scholarships to graduating high school seniors from high schools located in Illinois. Applicants are evaluated on various attributes including but not limited to academic achievements, extra-curricular activities, leadership, community activities, and financial need.
- Amount $3,000 total
- Deadline 3/31/2023 (5pm Central Time if applying online)
- Awards available: 3 ($1,000 each awardee)
- Must be graduating high school seniors in 2023.
- Must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Must submit a complete application.
- Must submit official high school transcripts.
- Must submit SAT or ACT score.
- Applicants for Won Buddhism of Chicago (WBC) Scholarships must attend schools located in Illinois. Students will be evaluated on the basis of criteria including academic achievements (through grades, honors, and awards), extracurricular school activities, financial need, leadership, and community involvements for betterment of society.
- To be eligible for consideration for a scholarship, the student must be expected to graduate with an overall high school unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher in 2023.
- Each Scholarship Application must include a complete application form and a copy of official high school transcripts (from 9th Grade through present), including SAT or ACT scores, if available.
- Scholarship winners will be announced no later than April 12, 2023. At that time, each scholarship awardee must email one digital photo to Won Buddhism of Chicago to be used in a press release to local newspapers and WBC website. Winners MUST attend an award ceremony on Sunday, April 23, 2023 from 10:00AM to 1:00PM. If the winner is unavailable to attend the ceremony, the scholarship will not be granted. Awardees will be photographed at the award ceremony and the photographs will be used in press release to local newspapers and will also be posted on the WBC website.
- The application deadline is Friday, March 31, 2023. The application can be submitted digitally through Google Forms or by mail. The application MUST be post-marked on or before March 31, 2023, or delivered in person or electronically submitted by 5PM, March 31, 2023.
- All applicants must sign and date the Certification of Accuracy and Release of Information Waiver, found below:
In addition to the information requested in the online application, applicants will need to upload with the application:
- Release of Information Waiver and Certification of Accuracy (Signed and scanned as PDF)
- Official high school transcripts, 9th grade through present (Scanned and uploaded as a PDF)
- SAT or ACT score: Screenshots are acceptable (but must include your full name in the screenshot). Confirmation from counselor or school could be requested.
- Personal Statements
- Tell us about yourself (200 words or less)
- Resume: Summary of education history, honors, activities, and work experience if applicable
- Brief description of your involvements in (1) high school activities and (2) community volunteer experience.
Apply by Mail
If applying by mail, you do not have to submit the online application and vice versa.